Monday, September 8, 2008

Following the Red Balloon







Paris has a wonderful collection of movie theaters that show classic films and "art house" movies. Being a great fan of the movies, I really enjoy the chance of seeing old movies on the big screen. Earlier this summer I saw that a childhood favorite, The Red Balloon had been re-release at one of these movie theaters in Paris. Many people may recall sitting through this short film - if they were lucky enough to - during their elementary school years. That's where I had first seen it. It is a short film (about 34 minutes) by Albert Lamorisse first released in 1956. When I had first seen this movie the fact that it was set in Paris hadn't really made an impression on me at that time. Seeing it once again was a real treat. The movie is also more beautiful than my younger self could ever have understood. The story of a small Parisian grade-schooler, played by the director's son Pascal, becomes best friend to a red balloon. This balloon will not leave his new friend's side. It was great fun to see Paris in it's recent past as the young boy rides the city buses, goes to school, and climbs the hilly neighborhood of Bellville and Menilmontant. Just this week the request to visit this part of the city came my way. As I wandered there this weekend the images of this movie came to my mind. Of course the old fallen down shanties no longer exist. Now there is a modern, beautiful park that offer a less known view over Paris. It's quite spectacular to come upon the city in this way. It was nearly the view that is quickly glimpsed in the movie.
This wasn't the only classic that I set out to see over the summer. Most of the theaters that play these great old films are located in the Latin Quarter of Paris. Places like "Action Ecoles", "Grand Action", and "Reflet Medicis" were showing some great old classics this summer. There was a festival of Marx Brothers movies to a movie musical festival like An American in Paris.

"I bought myself a red balloon, And got a blue surprise,Hidden in the red balloon, A pinning of my eyes,It took a love light from my eyes,Blue, blue surprise." Tim Hardin lyrics from the song: Red Balloon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-L2-wOJMPw

No comments: